Blog Archive

Thursday, June 25, 2009

50 Whatnots and Whodingers All About Me

1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
I was named after my grandfather. Which is fortunate, because being named before my grandfather would have created a time paradox.

2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
I get choked up whenever Nam plays "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" on the piano.

3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
Ordinarily, yes. But if I don't transcribe my notes within two days of an interview, I usually can't read them.

4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
I've had a thing for corned beef ever since that episode of Gilligan's Island where a caged lion and several cases of corned beef hash washed ashore. (I hope there really was such an episode and I'm not just imagining it, because that would be an odd thing to imagine).

5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
Not that I am aware of.

6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
It would depend on who I was. If I was Harrison Ford, I wouldn't return my phone calls. If I was Fred Savage, I might.

7. DO YOU USE SARCASM?
I'm not sure. If you use sarcasm and nobody gets that you're being sarcastic, does it still count?

8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS?
I think so. But like so many of the things in my life, I have a hard time keeping track of where they are.

9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
If the alternative was something like exploratory surgery without anesthesia, then yes.

10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL?
It comes and goes. These days I'm particularly fond of Trader Joe's Bran Swirls. There's nothing better than a tasty foodstuff that sounds like an unpleasant experience.

11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
After I take them off, and after the cat has finished inspecting them. I don't know why he does this, but it seems to be important to him. I'm going to try to get him a job with the TSA.

12. DID YOU MAKE DINNER LAST NIGHT OR CARRY OUT?
Nam made dinner — Guinness beef stew. Score.

13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM?
I try to get a different kind of ice cream every time we go, but I am always a sucker for moose tracks.

14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
Whether or not they are on fire.

15. RED OR PINK?
I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Communist party.

16. WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
That I have neither the energy nor the determination to do all the things I want to do.

17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
George, but only because he is so good at avoiding my fire.

18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO COMPLETE THIS LIST?
I want everyone to be working on this list Sunday morning, so that the parking lot, aisles and checkout lines at the grocery store will be empty. (Those of you who have already completed the list can work at the store).

19. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING?
Khaki and brown, even though I'm wearing a black belt. Sue me.`

20. HAVE YOU EVER LEFT THE HOUSE IN YOUR PJS?
Back in the days when the Target a block from our home was still open, Nam and I went video-game shopping in our jammies at 9:30 one evening. (She also wore a prom dress there on another occasion, to protest the fact that I never took her anywhere).

21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Our sports editor talking about Wimbledon.

22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
Ultraviolet.

23. FAVORITE SMELL?
Maple syrup, closely followed by bacon. Maple-cured bacon is what heaven smells like.

24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE?
Stephanie. I keep avoiding the guy who's trying to sell me A's tickets.

25. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?
No one sent this to me; I copied this from someone else's page (of whom I am quite fond). Talent borrows; genius steals.

26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
Although I generally only watch baseball, I really dug the swimming, running and gymnastics events during last summer's Olympics. And I could watch the Iditarod forever.

27. HAIR COLOR?
I thought I saw my first gray hair this morning, but it might have been a cobweb. Either way, I need to get out more.

28. EYE COLOR?
That depends on who you ask. Nam says I have creepy blue Children of the Corn eyes, which probably explains why she is marrying me.

29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
I have sometimes imagined getting contacts that would make my eyes look like little 8-balls. But that seems unlikely, as I get queasy whenever I imagine touching my eyes.

30. FAVORITE FOOD?
Burgers, flapjacks and other things I am no longer allowed to eat.

31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
I like scary movies that have happy endings. Granted, it's a pretty small category.

32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
Away We Go. It was much better than I had expected. It's nice to see an American movie that doesn't take place in Los Angeles or New York.

33.WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
Black, with the occasional orange-and-white cat hair.

34. SUMMER OR WINTER?
I live in Northern California. We don't have either.

35. HUGS OR KISSES?
Okay.

36. FAVORITE DESSERT?
Chocolate pecan pie. And remember the a la mode.

37. MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND?
I'm guessing somewhere near the Vega system, but I haven't checked in with the SETI folks for a while now.

38. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND?
Mimes.

39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW?
Common Ground, a history of the Boston busing crisis of the 1970s.

40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
A (now out-of-date) map of the Emerson College campus.

41. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT?
I went to the movies last night.

42. FAVORITE SOUND(S)?
The sound of my cat purring, the "fapp!" of a baseball striking a leather glove, the clang of a bell buoy and the theme from the "Benny Hill Show."

43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES?
I like the Stones, but it's really unfair to compare anyone else to the Beatles.

44. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME?
Probably Christchurch, New Zealand. Or perhaps Vietnam. I remember calling my mom on Easter when I was in Verona and she was in Hawaii. We were an entire day apart.

45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
I think it's hard to draw the line between something at which you're talented and something you've simply practiced a great deal. That said, I kick ass at "Yars' Revenge."

46. WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
Riverside Hospital, in beautiful Columbus, Ohio.

47. WHOSE ANSWERS ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING BACK?
The bank from which we are seeking a mortgage.

48. HOW DID YOU MEET YOUR SPOUSE/SIGNIFICANT OTHER?
Nam and I had classes next door to each other in graduate school, and she used to hang around in my classroom once a week. I thought it might have been because she liked me a little bit, but it turned out she had a crush on my professor. That professor will be performing our wedding.

49. IS THE CUP HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY?
There is no cup. Only Zuul.

50. IF YOU COULD SIT DOWN TO DINNER WITH FIVE PEOPLE WHO WOULD YOU CHOOSE?
Thomas Jefferson, Napoleon Bonaparte, Mark Twain, Martha Gellhorn and my grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment